Welcome to AutoForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

89 Camry--rough idle

 
   car problems (Home) -> Toyota Arch3 RSS
Next:  Avg Life of an Engine and Transmission???  
Author Message
Steve Neu

External


Since: Aug 25, 2003
Posts: 2



(Msg. 1) Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:56 pm
Post subject: 89 Camry--rough idle
Archived from groups: alt>autos>toyota (more info?)

I have a 89 Camry AT 4 cylinder that has a rough idle when its warmed
up and in gear. The whole car shakes--but it runs fine when you get a
some RPMs on the engine. To date it has had a tune-up with new plugs
-cap and wires--Toyota original and a O2 sensor. So far no change in
the problem. Any ideas?

 >> Stay informed about: 89 Camry--rough idle 
Back to top
Login to vote
Philip1

External


Since: Jul 06, 2003
Posts: 831



(Msg. 2) Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:21 am
Post subject: Re: 89 Camry--rough idle [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Steve Neu wrote:
 > I have a 89 Camry AT 4 cylinder that has a rough idle when its
 > warmed up and in gear. The whole car shakes--but it runs fine when
 > you get a some RPMs on the engine. To date it has had a tune-up
 > with new plugs -cap and wires--Toyota original and a O2 sensor. So
 > far no change in the problem. Any ideas?

Your car and every other FOUR cylinder automatic ever made does the
same thing to a greater or lesser degree at low engine RPMs
especially under load (in gear). Mounting the engine transversely
makes low RPM shuddering more noticeable than a longitudinal
mounting. The closer you can get the crank pin throws, the smoother
the engine will perform at idle under load. In this respect, the
only engine configuration that would produce more vibration would be
a single cylinder engine.
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

 >> Stay informed about: 89 Camry--rough idle 
Back to top
Login to vote
Steve Neu

External


Since: Aug 25, 2003
Posts: 2



(Msg. 3) Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:21 am
Post subject: Re: 89 Camry--rough idle [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
Philip® wrote:
 >
 > Your car and every other FOUR cylinder automatic ever made does the
 > same thing to a greater or lesser degree at low engine RPMs
 > especially under load (in gear). Mounting the engine transversely
 > makes low RPM shuddering more noticeable than a longitudinal
 > mounting. The closer you can get the crank pin throws, the smoother
 > the engine will perform at idle under load. In this respect, the
 > only engine configuration that would produce more vibration would be
 > a single cylinder engine.
 > --
 >
 > ~~Philip
 >
 > "Never let school interfere
 > with your education - Mark Twain"

I know what you are talking about but this is worse than normal. When
its in gear with the AC on the RPMs are low enough the engine actually
knocks at idle when hot. More throttle or setting the idle up does not
seem to stop the knocking and rough running. It acts like the stall
speed of the torque converter is too low or the AC compressor is too
much load for the engine.

Steve
 >
 >
 >> Stay informed about: 89 Camry--rough idle 
Back to top
Login to vote
Philip1

External


Since: Jul 06, 2003
Posts: 831



(Msg. 4) Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:20 am
Post subject: Re: 89 Camry--rough idle [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Steve Neu wrote:


  >>
  >> Your car and every other FOUR cylinder automatic ever made does
  >> the same thing to a greater or lesser degree at low engine RPMs
  >> especially under load (in gear). Mounting the engine transversely
  >> makes low RPM shuddering more noticeable than a longitudinal
  >> mounting. The closer you can get the crank pin throws, the
  >> smoother the engine will perform at idle under load. In this
  >> respect, the only engine configuration that would produce more
  >> vibration would be a single cylinder engine.
  >> --
  >>
  >> ~~Philip
  >>
  >> "Never let school interfere
  >> with your education - Mark Twain"
 >
 > I know what you are talking about but this is worse than normal.
 > When its in gear with the AC on the RPMs are low enough the engine
 > actually knocks at idle when hot. More throttle or setting the
 > idle up does not seem to stop the knocking and rough running. It
 > acts like the stall speed of the torque converter is too low or
 > the AC compressor is too much load for the engine.
 >
 > Steve

Ok, you have an understanding of the "normal" level of vibration that
all four cylider engines exhibit under low rpm loading. If this is a
new phenomenon, then get the car to a diagnostics station and find
out what's wrong.

An "in-gear" idle RPM with the A/C ON should be about 700-800 rpm
with the compressor running. There will be the normal engine
vibration in this condition but not knocking sounds. Might check for
other mechanical sources than engine spark knocking.
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
 >> Stay informed about: 89 Camry--rough idle 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
89 Toyota Corolla running very rough - The car barely runs, and runs very rough. Like the cars timing is off. I have checked the timimg belt, and all timing points. I am getting spark to all plugs, and gas through the carb. Can the electronic emmission module cause this? Could the..

Camry '05 - way overfilled with oil ! - Hi 2 weeks ago, I took my brand new Camry to the dealer for an oil change. Didn't check the oil level while cold till 600 miles later. Did it this morning and the level is way high - about an inch over "F" mark, they clearly overfilled it.. Fr...

1993 Camry Air Conditioning Recharging - I have a 93 Camry and recently my AC stopped cooling. I figure, it's got something to do with the refrigerent. Can someone tell me if i can add new refrigerent myself. I think the current system uses R-12 refrigerent. Can someone tell me if i should use....

Brand new camry 03: Airbag light on - Hi, I bought a Toyota Camry, 2003, LE just 3-days back and I already have a problem with it. The airbag light remains on all the time. We notified the dealer and he said that he will get it fixed. Obviously this has got us severly upset because this is ...

'99 Camry Transmission/Differential Bug - EXPENSIVE - This is my first post, caused by a problem. We have a '99 Camry with about 96,000 miles. Until recently the car's service had been spotless since purchase. Not a single repair since it left the showroom. Routine maintenance and nothing else. About...
   car problems (Home) -> Toyota Arch3 All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]